Everett Elementary School
The Edward Everett School is committed to strong academics as well as social, arts, and athletic programming. Students’ social needs are met through our school-wide social competency curriculum.
Our science specialist works with K-grade 5 students. Students also participate in the arts and communications classes at least once per week.
Many classrooms benefit from weekly read-alouds by Screen Actors Guild members and environmental studies with a naturalist.
Students also enthusiastically participate in our many extracurricular activities, including Environmental Club, Girl Scouts and Boy Scouts, and Playworks. Students in K0/K1 are provided instruction using the OWL curriculum. In K2, we adopting the district’s new early childhood curriculum. Teachers of grades 1-5 use the Reading Streets resources for reading and writing, and Investigations for mathematics. In science, students in grades K-5 are taught using Foss Kits for hands-on learning experiences. In health, students learn about healthy eating habits and anti-bullying strategies using the Second Steps resources.
What makes our school special:
• Strong literacy, math, and science programs, well-stocked classroom libraries, and the best elementary school library in the BPS, with more than 9,000 volumes
• Specialist teachers in music, science, physical education, health, and communications
• Creating leadership opportunities for students through junior activities coaches
• Wellness program that includes physical education and health instruction
• Unique, weekly literacy through the arts courses
• Environmental science focus
• Before and after school program to help struggling students in a small-group setting
• Weekly newsletter, the “Everett Owl,” to keep parents informed
• Support staff for students who are struggling, including a counselor, speech therapist, and occupational therapist
• Facilities: Award-winning schoolyard and outdoor classroom; auditorium and science lab
* K-8 Pathway: Guaranteed assignment to the McCormack Middle School.
Special academic programs:
• Inclusion services and academic resource room support for students in all grades
• New York Metropolitan Opera Guild, “e” Inc., Home for Little Wanderers, Greater Boston Jewish Coalition for Literacy, Open Circle, YMCA of Greater Boston, Horace Mann Insurance Company, Strong Women, Strong Girls Boston, Boy Scouts, Girl Scouts
Before and after school programs in our building:
• Before school: on-site partnership with the YMCA
• After school to 6:00 p.m.: provided by the YMCA; includes homework support. We also offer an Environmental Club and a Music Club.