BPS Registration: Step-by-Step
BPS Registration: Introduction, Guide, and Cycle
BPS Registration offers families controlled school choice under the district's Student Assignment Policy. Our current policy divides the city into three geographic "zones" - East, North, and West - for elementary and middle schools. All high schools are citywide. Registration for the upcoming school year occurs in rounds and begins with grades K0-K2, 6, and 9 in January. Registration for the current school year is ongoing.
When families register for BPS, they can apply to be assigned to:
- Any of the schools in the assignment zone in which they live
- Schools within their walk zone, regardless of the assignment zone (see "walk zone priority")
- Any citywide schools
Because of the many school options in Boston, BPS has developed several resources to help families decide to which schools to apply when they register. At a Family Resource Center (FRC), families are given an Application for Student Assignment and invited to rank their BPS school choices in order of preference. At the close of each registration round, a custom-designed computer program assigns registrants to their highest ranked, possible school choice, based on available seats, a registrant's given priorities (see "priorities"), and his/her random number (see "random numbers").
If you need to register your child for the current school year, please visit any of our FRCs as soon as possible with the documents required for registration. FRC hours and locations can be found on the Family Resource Centers page.
If your child is completing the highest grade in his/her current BPS school, the application form for the next school will come home to you from his/her current school and you should return the completed form to that school. No visit to an FRC is required.
This is our step-by-step online guide to the BPS Registration Process.
Step One - What are my School Choices?
1.1 Your School Choices
1.3 Your List
Step Two - How, Where, and When to Register?
2.1 Required Documents
2.2 Online Pre-Registration
2.3 Family Resource Centers
2.4 Registration Rounds
Step Three - What's Next?
3.1 The Assignment Notice
3.2 Unassigned and Wait Lists
Please note: if you have a child who needs to be assigned for the current school year, you may register him/her at any of our Family Resource Centers as soon as you have all of the required documents. The timeline below is meant to guide families registering their children for the upcoming school year.
Nov. 1, 2012 - Jan. 11, 2013
- School Preview Time and School Showcases allow families to learn about their school choices through in-person visits and conversations with school staff
- Information Sessions by Welcome Services staff walk parents through the registration process
- BPS Express, online pre-registration opens mid-December for families to begin registration before completing their application at an FRC
Jan. 3 - Feb. 1, 2013
- Round One registration is for school-age children applying for Kindergarten, Grade 6, and Grade 9
- Only registrants who are new to BPS need to apply at an FRC
Feb. 6 - Mar. 22, 2013
- Round Two registration is for all grades
- Assignment notices for Kindergarten, Grade 6, and Grade 9 registrants are mailed home mid-March
Mar. 24 - May 10, 2013
- Round Three registration is for all grades
- Assignment notices for Round Two registrants are mailed home mid-May
May 13 - Jun. 14, 2013
- Round Four registration is for all grades
- Assignment notices for Round Three registrants are mailed home mid-June
After Jun. 14, 2013
- Assignment notices for Round Four registrants are mailed home mid-July
- Subsequent registrations are assigned on a case-by-case basis
- Transportation information is mailed home to all assigned students in late August
Still have questions? Please contact a Family Resource Center